Sunday, October 26, 2008

Have you always wanted to do this?

I’m currently hiring 2 positions as my recent graduates have decided to pursue their dreams. As sad as I am to see them go, I'm proud of them for following their dreams, especially in an economy such as this. As they pack up their desks, they leave me pondering one last question- have you always wanted to do this job?

My original career path was teaching but moving cross country my teaching licence was no longer valid and I was forced to look else where at least temporarily. I was offered a job at my current company and took it. Every 6 months I got promoted so I felt I was moving in the right direction and never looked back. Now it's been a 1.5 years in my current position and I'm bored. Not only am I bored but my future at the company with the pending sale is uncertain. If I lost my job would I look for similar work or something different?

I've spent so much of my life mapping out my first 20 something years that I haven't really thought much about the next step. That’s one of the reasons I started this blog. I’ve done all the things you “need” to do to move into adult status (career, house, husband, fur kids) and I’m not sure what my next step should be.

I'm still trying to figure it all out. I'm so gratefully for being asked this question as it's one I've been meaning to address for a long time and they called my out on my procrastination. It's time to start thinking about the next 5 years and what I want to do with my life. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Bobbinoggin said...

every step is a new adventure and potential new chapter. a friend of mine just quit her fulltime longstanding job in order to work for herself. she's scared to death. i say she's a rockstar.

i'm cheering you on too. do some soul searching. and keep us tuned in. ;)

Anonymous said...

Yeah.. its a hard question.

I feel the same way. I like my job today.. BUT, do I really see myself here in 5 years?? If not, then where do I see me? (Assuming traveling from island to island sampling local foods and beverages are out of the question.. lol)

Good Luck and stick with it! Sometimes I hold back certain ideas or visions b/c they sound silly or far fetched.. but get all your ideas out b/c you never know where it might lead you!

DEL said...

Thanks for the support! I'm really excited about the changes my company is going to be undergoing in the next 2 months. I want to be sure that I'm actively choosing my career, however, and not just going along with what plops down in front of me. Its one thing to be qualified for a job and another to want to do it.

Here's to soul searching!