Wednesday, March 25, 2009

First Ride Along!

I can't believe there are only 2 classes left in the Citizen's Police Academy. I've learned a few things but mostly it's nice to be around non LEO people that are in awe of what our men and women in blue do. I have to say it's very refreshing to walk through the classroom doors and be surrounded by citizens and city council members who support law enforcement.

But enough mushiness- Friday I went on my first ride along! For 4 hours I was immersed in what my DH does everyday:

  • Gave a death notice, took almost an hour since we didn't have a valid address and had to respond to a building alarm across town during the hunt
  • Pulled 2 people over with tinted windows (one person was cited, the other got a warning)
  • Pulled over a car with expired tags and the driver had a warrant for arrest- my first trip to jail (kind of smelly don't recommend it)
  • Assisted another agency with information on a stop within the city limits
  • Got to see Cop Watch in action (for those that don't know our local Cop Watch goes around on patrol taping officers doing their job, invading their personal space, and generally just creating a scene, I'd link to their page so you could see the ridiculousness but I don't want them to find me!)
  • Responded to a 911 hang up when dispatch couldn't get a hold of the caller (gosh darn those 2 year olds. At least the family was very nice and apologetic)
  • Checked out an apartment for loud music and underage drinking
  • Looked for juveniles who overturned a porta potty and were being chased by a neighbor (we didn't see anything)
  • Searched for a municipal code violation of camping but again couldn't find anything in the location given
  • Responded to a fight call and assisted in locating a caregiver for an unknown 2 year old who was left by her drunk mother when the crowd broke up
It was actually a pretty slow night according to the officer but I was exhausted and a little bit car sick. Who knew how tiring it can be to get in and out of a car! And there were times I swear we were driving in circles (okay we were- we kept trying to catch up with cars to pull over but traffic was getting in the way or we'd get dispatched some where).

I have a new respect for how tired DH is when he gets home and I was only out from 6-10!

1 comments:

MJ said...

Whew, do I hear you! I did a ride along with FDH from 10Pm to 4AM and I was totally exhausted by the end of it! I don't know how he does 12 whole hours!!!