Sunday, August 24, 2008

Uncertainty Begins

I actually felt some what prepared when I got a call from my boss late Friday night. Our company was owned by a bank suffering heavily with the mortgage crisis and a call on Friday night meant only one thing- the bank was taken over by the FDIC.

The good news was that as a highly profitable asset of the bank and with 1% self ownership we were a surviving asset to be sold to a company that would keep us up and running. The bad news was we were in for a rough ride- pay check delays, heath care uncertainty, and the unspoken fear of layoffs.

The first thing I did after hanging up with my boss was check the local classifieds. I knew the company needed me but I was going to have a back up plan. I also saw this as an opportunity to assess what I really wanted in a job. I was starting to get that disgruntled employee attitude and a change (whether a new company or new management) might be exactly what I needed.

That’s when bad news #2 hit me, I live in an area where good jobs are impossible to find. It’s a good thing DH and I started saving because if I lose my job, it is going to take a while to find a new one.

Good news #2- I realized my life long dream is to work at Google.

0 comments: