Thursday, January 22, 2009

Monthly Recap- Dec 2008

I'd like to say I closed out 2008 on a high note but with the holidays and all the gift giving and over indulging, I closed out 2008 on a middle note. DH and I have a savings, which we are desperately trying to grow for our 2009 Bathroom Remodel project. I'm happy to say that in the later half of the year (around the time I started this blog) our contributions steadily increased and that continued all the way through 2008. I was even able to double our weekly contribution so I'm pretty stoked about that.

The sad news is there weren't many financial highs for December 2008:

  • DH got a raise for completing his first year with the department.
  • We doubled our weekly contribution to our savings account.
The lows for December were numerous and stem from a general bleeding of the wallet syndrome. I guess it's true that when I loss focus, I really lose focus. Go big or go home... (inside joke sorry)
  • $500 for holiday gifts.
  • $100 more than last month's already inflated eating out numbers. Bring this down will be our top goal for February.
  • $100 more on entertainment. I have to admit we had a fun month and I don't regret this little splurge.
  • $215 at Target, which is over $150 more than the previous 2 months. This was disappointing to see on paper.
The good news is DH and I are committed to our 2009 Bathroom Remodel project and we also really want to go on vacation again (hopefully in 2009 also but depends on how much the remodel costs). At least there are lots of places to trim the fat and start plumbing up that savings account!

2 comments:

Helen said...

Just keep plugging away at it! I think it's great that you're taking control of this and making plans for your savings. Good job!! You'll reach your goal. :)

DEL said...

Thanks for the encouragement. I started to let things slide after Thanksgiving and it feels good to be back on track!