Monday, January 19, 2009

No More "Treats"

We're half way through the first month of 2009 and I'm not sure that I've made as much progress on my mindset as I would have liked. True I'm making the bed in the morning, washing all the dishes at night, working out with the Wii and My Fitness Coach for 30 min every week day, but I still feel like I'm cheating the system.

A while back I admitted that my biggest challenge for 2009 was discipline and avoiding the guilty escapes of treating yourself. I have a confession to make- I'm still indulging in those little treats.

I had big plans to work out in the evening but ended up having to take work home. Instead of making time for both, I "treated" myself with a pass card to the work out so I could do my work and still watch tv. Lame.

The next night I had to make a special trip to the local feed store for my dogs' special food, because it is slightly out of my way I "treated" myself to a frozen pizza that night because I got home from work late and shouldn't have to also then cook. Pathetic.

It seems to be a regular theme for me -if anything out of the ordinary happens, I make it into an excuse to "treat" myself. But it's never really a treat just an excuse to be lazy and undisciplined.

Any suggestions on how to stop this?

3 comments:

Bobbinoggin said...

You need a day where you JUST COOK. You cook everything for the entire week. Maybe you start with a healthy chicken pot pie. Then you make a low calorie chicken parmesan (I have such a recipe that tastes BETTER than the fattening recipe if you want. Cooks Illustrated rocks). Then you make some taco meat and rice and beans. Make some HOMEMADE pizzas with wheat bread. Now after you cook everything, you freeze all but one meal.

Now when you come home later in the week and don't want to cook... you "treat" yourself to your own home cooking that you so thoughtfully planned ahead.

This cooking day can be a family event where your children and (maybe?) husband even pitch in. Maybe you have one person shred the cheese. Maybe you have another wash rice, beans or potatoes.

YOU CAN DO IT. (and you'll save money doing it too)

Helen said...

Bobbin's right! :) I try to do this before my semesters start so we have some food ready to go once I get too busy to cook.

Soups, gumbo, chili all freeze well. I make and extra loaf of bread and some breakfast muffins, too. :) And I try to replace the bread if we pull it out and use it.

I used to do the treat thing too. Part of the way I stopped it was by giving DH and I both a cash allowance each month. We can do whatever we want with it, but no using the cards for anything but gas. Having the cash in your hand makes a big difference in spending it. You can actually see the money and I've found myself not wanting to spend it as much any more.

Keep trying, most importantly, and you'll find the trick that work for you!

DEL said...

Sounds like I need to visit the "Freezer Friendly" section of my cookbook! Thanks for the suggestions. :)