Friday, January 2, 2009

New Year Resolutions


In the spirit of the season I've been spending some time reflecting on my past, present, and future and have realized that while I use to be proud of my accomplishments and life, I'm really not that excited about the person I am right now. I think the biggest thing is that I strive on structure and as I've gotten older I've had less and less structure provided externally and more and more has to be internally motivated. So my New Year's resolution is to lead a more structured life and to stop making excuses for why I should be given "a break" just this once.

I read this article at the Happiness Project and it really hit the nail on the head. When I have a bad day I think that is a good excuse why I shouldn't have to do the dishes that night. But the reality is I will actually feel better if I just buckle down and do the dishes. Cleaning makes me feel better but I come up with excuses while I shouldn't have to do it. I don't know if this makes any sense to you, but it was an epiphany for me.

I've started a list of the following daily expectations and are tracking them in my daily planner:

  1. I will cook at least 4 meals a week for DH and I.
  2. I will use the Wii fit (or other wii excercise game) at least 15 mins 5 days a week.
  3. I will walk my dogs at least 15 mins 5 times a week.
  4. I will do the dishes daily.
  5. I will start a cleaning calendar for weekly chores.
I 'm sure there are other things that I will add but this is what I'm starting out with and once they start becoming habit I will add some new ones.

1 comments:

MJ said...

Oh, I love my Wii Fit. I was using it regularly before I broke down and started hitting the gym. It really made a difference in the way I felt and in my posture.

Good luck with your resolutions!
Happy New Year!