Friday, September 5, 2008

Everything is a learning experience


Over the past few weeks, I've realized that 1. no matter how much I complain about my job and the people I work with- I absolutely love my job and the great people I work with. While there is always room for improvement, I think I'm pretty lucky. 2. Every obstacle is a learning experience and we can't grow if we never face adversity.

Here's what I've learned from my latest fiasco:

  • I'm not afraid to stand up for myself
  • I could use some refinement in my communication skills
  • My direct, action oriented communication style, while highly efficient, can be perceived as abrasive
  • Meetings would be easier if I can communicated better with different communication styles, particularly visionaries.
  • I expect clear expectations when starting a project and if I don't get them I ask for them
  • People can't always explain what they want because they really don't know
  • I hold myself to a higher standard by not doing what the customer asks and doing the job the customer wants
  • I can recognize the difference between the two
  • I take things personally and I really need to let them go
  • Work is important and it's not my whole life
  • Sometimes it is better to keep things to myself. In a year from now, will it matter?
  • People at all levels of the organization look to me to be a leader and while it can be frustrating at times, I should take it as a compliment
  • An upbeat attitude and a smile go along way to smooth rocky waters
  • Every experience can teach me something and there is a positive slant to every experience

1 comments:

MJ said...

People can't always explain what they want because they really don't know

Man, isn't that the truth.