Tuesday, February 3, 2009

3 Weeks Make a Habit

I've heard it takes 3 weeks to make a habit and only 2 days to break it. Meaning if you concisously do something everyday for 3 weeks it will become a routine for you that requires little effort to get done. However, if you get busy and skip the habit 2 days in a row it requires more effort to get back on track.

At the beginning of the year I created 5 daily expectancies to get me back on schedule. I gave a progress report a week later identifying some of my difficulties. It's been over 3 weeks and I'm proud to report I've got some new habits! Which also means it's time for some new ones for February.

Progress Report

  • Daily dish duty is an official habit. A few nights ago I fell asleep watching tv before I washed the dishes in the sink. A whiny dog woke me up at midnight and as I let him out the back door I saw dishes in the sink. I couldn't go back to bed until I did them! It only took 2 minutes and when I woke up the next morning it felt great to have a clean kitchen!
  • Making the bed is an official habit. It's so important now that DH and I have limited the dogs' access to our bed. Only Porter is allowed in the bedroom because his kennel is there. No more doggies playing on the bed keeps it nicely made and is also doggy hair free which is a bonus.
  • Excercising everyday is almost an official habit. I've switched up the wii fit to My Fitness Coach (still a wii "game"). It's more challenging and I'm doing it every weekday morning, but it's not quite automatic yet. I'm keeping this a focus for February.
  • Walking the dogs is in the same boat- I'm doing it every work day morning but it still takes some concious effort and self talk to get me out on those cold rainy mornings.
  • Cooking 4 times a week is well, not there yet. We are eating at home every night so depending on your definition of "cooking" you could say I'm meeting this expectation. I'm revising this goal for February to be more specific.
  • Cleaning calendar has yet to be created. I think I bit off more than I could chew for January. 5 goals a month is probably my limit since I didn't even think about this goal all month.
February Goals
  • Excercise every weekday so it's automatic and requires no thinking when I get out of bed.
  • Walk the dogs every work day so it's automatic and requires no thinking in the morning.
  • Cook at least 2 meals a week and have food available and prepared for eating at home the other nights.
  • Create a cleaning calendar for regular weekly, monthly, and quarterly cleaning.
  • And a new one: organize mail daily by immediately throwing away junk mail and putting bills to pay in the designated spot.
How are your resolutions coming along?

2 comments:

MJ said...

No kidding. I finally got in the habit of working out three times a week, and I did it well for three whole months. I missed one week and now I have no motivation to get back on track. Ugh. That's the worst!

DEL said...

Bummer! This is always happening to me too. You get on a really good role and then life gets in the way. LOL!

I've started using that as my motivation- "if I skip today because of ------, it's going to be that much harder to do it tomorrow."

good luck!